Industrial Real Estate
Demand for industrial real estate is on the rise! Growth in manufacturing, e-commerce, consumer spending, and international trade, and expansion of the Panama Canal are driving the demand for industrial and warehouse space across the United States. As the demand for industrial space grows, so does the need for information on management and operational best practices. BOMA International offers a number of resources to help industry professionals understand and take advantage of the burgeoning industrial real estate market.
BOMA Industrial Committee
Open to BOMA members, BOMA’s Industrial Committee tracks trends; facilitates business networking and exchange of ideas; and develops education, training, and other resources. Please contact Patricia Areno, CAE, BOMA’s Senior VP, at email@example.com if you are interested in joining the committee.
New Industrial Floor Measurement Standard
BOMA International has just released a new Industrial Standard that includes a unified methodology for determining and calculating rentable area for both Single Occupant and Multi-Occupant scenarios. Industrial Buildings: Standard Methods of Measurement (ANSI/BOMA Z65.2-2019) also includes an easy-to-follow, step-by-step layout and clarifications addressing frequently asked questions from the previous 2012 version of the Industrial Standard to help ensure the most accurate measurement and application.
Industrial Experience Exchange Report (Industrial EER)
This annual benchmarking report – the only report of its kind for industrial properties – includes income and expense data for thousands of industrial properties across the U.S. This data can help you build better budgets, assess new markets, identify opportunities for cost savings, refine operating strategies and much more. Available as an online subscription.
- BOMA 360 Performance Program – Owners and managers of industrial buildings are encouraged to apply for the prestigious BOMA 360 designation which recognizes buildings for operational and management excellence in six major areas: operations and management; life safety and security; energy; environmental practices; education and training; and tenant relations and community involvement. In 2020, a distinct new set of BOMA 360 application criteria specifically for industrial buildings was launched, designed to reflect the unique characteristics of and operational best practices for industrial properties.
- The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) Awards – This prestigious annual awards program honors the best of commercial buildings, and includes an awards category for industrial properties.
Education and Training
- Managing Industrial Properties – This one-day course is offered through BOMA local associations. If you are interested in hosting this course, please contact Amy Chisholm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Industrial Track at BOMA’s Annual Conference – Taking place each year at the end of June, BOMA International’s annual conference programming includes a track devoted to industrial real estate trends, investment, management, and operations. Visit www.bomaconference.org for information on this year's conference.
- Webinars – Check out BOMA International’s various on-demand webinars covering industrial topics at learn.boma.org.
- BEEP for Industrial Properties – This online, five-course series explores the role of energy efficiency in operating
sustainable—and profitable—industrial buildings. It contains modules covering everything from
fundamentals of energy management to creating an energy management plan to
common benchmarking and reporting tools.
Industrial Terms and Definitions